Mapping the Mental Health of Our Communities:
Explore the Data. Create Change.
Mental Health America's County and State Data Map is a dashboard that geographically visualizes data from over 4 million mental health screens taken at MHAScreening.org in 2020-2022. The interactive maps are able to identify the current need for mental health resources at a pace and scale that was not possible before.
The following dashboard contains data collected on MHA Screening from January 2020-April 2022.
1. Select the condition you are interested in exploring from the blue buttons below.
To use the Condition-Specific Dashboards:
- Select the condition (Depression, Suicide, PTSD, Trauma or Psychosis) you are interested in exploring on the blue buttons above the dashboard.
- Select whether you would like to view state-level or county-level data from the blue buttons within the dashboard. Hover over states or counties for more information in the map and bar graph views.
- Select the Year (2020, 2021, 2022, or All Years) you would like to view on the "Year Filter for State View" or "Year Filter for County View" drop-down lists. Note that the "Year Filter for State View" only controls the State view, and the "Year Filter for County View" only controls the County View.
- On the County view, use the “Filter County” drop down filters.
- Use the State drop-down list to search states and view all counties within the states selected. Once states are selected, click Apply at the bottom of the list to filter the map and bar graph.
- Use the County, State drop-down list to select or search individual counties. Once counties are selected, click Apply at the bottom of the list to filter the map and bar graph.
- To reset your views and/or clear selections, click the Reset button at the bottom of each dashboard.
To use the Dashboard on the “Comparison” Tab:
- Use the drop-down filter titled “Sort States Below by Condition” to choose the condition you are interested in exploring. When a condition is selected the states in the bar view are re-ordered. States are presented in ascending order, from the state with the lowest number of individuals per 100K population scoring at risk for that condition to the states with the highest number of individuals per 100K population scoring at risk.
- On the "Screens by State per 100K of Population" bar view, the data can also be viewed by year. Use the "Select Year to View" drop-down list to select the Year you would like to view (2020, 2021, 2022, or All Years).
For more information on the terminology or data used within the dashboard, click here.
Need More Help Using the Dashboard?
Watch MHA’s Theresa Nguyen and Maddy Reinert give a dashboard demonstration.
If you'd like to watch the full MHA Data Mapping Dashboard webinar, click here.
Mental Health America’s independent research was made possible by the generous support of Lundbeck.